What a breath-taking journey of adventure through the months of March, April and May, marking so many important times and seasons in the Christian year. We find ourselves travelling still through Lent, sharing in the triumph of Easter, marvelling at the majesty of the Ascension of Jesus and patiently waiting for that fresh encounter of life in the Spirit as celebrations unfold at Pentecost.
I hope we can learn more of the deep love and fellowship of God as we contemplate the service and sacrifice and witness the joy and blessings of discipleship and mission. During these months, can I also ask you to pray for wisdom and unity and purpose in our discussions and reflections on the significant issues that continue to face us within the life of this Circuit?
Last week, I popped into Hull Minister, needing to find a few moments of stillness in the hustle and bustle of the day. It was my first visit. I was grateful for the welcome and quiet peace that enveloped me. I found myself caught up in the rhythm of regular daily worship as prayers were offered and, for a while, I enjoyed the benefits of being part of the Minster community.
As I sat quietly, I was reminded of my visit to Taize, a monastic ecumenical community in France, many years ago. I had been invited to join a party of young people who were travelling from Derbyshire, with the general idea of exploring vocation.
The community was new to me, but I discovered it was founded by Brother Roger in 1940 and consisted of over a hundred brothers of various denominations from all over the world living, working and studying faith together in the beautiful country-side of Burgundy. Three times a day, the bell would ring and everything stops for prayer in the Chapel.
In those times of prayer, I can still remember the simple songs and chanted prayers, the Scripture readings and meditations and then the period of silence – inviting openness and encounter with God.
Worship and silence at the end of the week was particularly meaningful. Members of the community led us to the Upper Room on Thursday, to gather before the Cross of Good Friday, into a prayer vigil for Holy Saturday, invited us to experience the joy and hope of Resurrection on Easter Sunday and then encouraged us to appreciate the gift and potential of the new week stretching out before us.
It was deeply moving and inspirational. As we worship and pray in our own communities, let us be constantly open to God’s transforming love and grace.
Blessings for Holy Week and Easter and Pentecost. Rev Debbie
March 2018—May 2018
Contact Details & Diary
For contact details of Ministers and Preachers, please collect a Circuit plan from one of our Churches. Also, our dates/times for all Sunday Services’ is too large to display on this page so we will only display the Sutton Methodist diary.
Dates For Sutton Methodist Church
|6:30pm||Withernsea||Healing Circuit Service|
|11 March||10:45am||Sutton||Local Arrangement|
|18 March||10:45am||Sutton||Lucas, Holy Communion|
|25 March||10:45am||Sutton||I Grant|
|15 April||10:45am||Sutton||J Richardson|
|29 April||10:45am||Sutton||Lucas, Holy Communion|
|20 May||10:45am||Sutton||Lucas, Parade|
|6:30pm||Lucas, Holy Communion|
|27 May||10:45am||Sutton||Local Arrangement|
- Fresh Expression Contact Rev L Penn-Timity
- Tuesdays 9.30am Table Top Sale
- Friday 10.00-11.00am Prayer Meeting at Church
- Worship Group 4pm to 5pm every Monday
Elsternwick AKA Elstronwick
- Weekly Village Friendship Group 2pm to 3.30pm
- Monthly Coffee Morning 2nd Saturday 10 – 12noon
- Coffee Morning: Ist Saturday monthly 10:00 – 11:30
- “60 Mins” bible study 2:00 pm Wednesdays
- Cake stall & book sale – 1st Friday of the month – 9.30am
- Coffee morning Hall Wednesdays 10.00 – 12noon
- Film Club 2nd Tuesday monthly 9.30am
- Coffee Morning Tuesdays 10.00 – 11.00am
- Luncheon Club Thursdays 11.30—13.30
- Upper Fellowship 6.30pm Mondays Southside
- Leisure Day Monday Sept to Mar 10.15 to 3.30pm
- Coffee morning Thursday 9.30 to 11.30am
- Quiz night first Thursday each month 7.30pm
- Woman’s Fellowship 2pm Wednesdays Fortnightly
- Friendship Group 7.30pm 3rd Tuesday Monthly
- Wives & friends 2nd & 4th Wednesdays 7.45pm
- Women’s Fellowship 2pm Thursdays
- Thursdays 1st Messy Ch 3rd Craft Club 4pm
- Friendship Circle Last Monday of the Month 7.30pm see Church for details
- Yell & Natter Parent & Toddlers 1pm Fridays
- Worship Group 7pm Tuesdays
- Friendship Group 2nd Monday in month 7.30pm
- Flavours Café Tuesday each week 11am to 2pm
has become a fresh expression of Worship and will be under the direction of Rev Lansford Penn-Timity during this plan. Please contact him for further details
Sunday 4 March 2018 @ Withernsea Circuit Healing Service 6.30pm
Easter Sunday 1 April 2018 @ Hedon Circuit Easter Praise 6.30pm
Sunday 13 May 2018 @ Patrington Easter Offering Service 6.30pm
You are ALL Welcome to these services
Come and Celebrate together as a Circuit
Our Circuit representatives will contact the Churches on a Monday morning and an email will then be sent to the Circuit’s ministers and the Hospital Chaplains.
Ministers Day OFF
Please observe and respect your Minister’s day off
|Rev D Lucas||Monday|
|Rev C Plenderleith||Monday|
|Rev L Penn—Timity||Friday|
|Deacon D Creed||Thursday|
Should an emergency arise on your Minister’s day off, please contact another member of staff who will be pleased to help you.
Circuit Meeting 26 March 2018 7.30pm Portobello
Circuit Vision Day Saturday 12 May 2018 @ Hedon 10am — 3.30pm (Refreshments from 9.30am)
I want to know one thing, the way to heaven; how to land safe on that happy shore. God Himself has condescended to teach the way; for this end He came from Heaven. He hath written it down in a book. Give me that book! At any price give me the Book of God!
— John Wesley
Circuit Website www.shmc12.org.uk
Dates for March to May 2018 plan to Circuit Office by 9 April 2018 please