A few years ago, when I was working for the Church in another town, a local preacher and his family had the unfortunate experience of being made homeless just before Christmas. Through no fault of their own they had to find alternative accommodation very quickly.
With all their belongings in storage, this young family of four had to rely completely on the mercy and practical support of other people through the days of Christmas and into the New Year.
Later, when life was calmer again, they reflected on all the gifts they had received during that time, the gifts that were obvious and those that might be termed hidden gifts.
The value of belonging to a wider Church community became clear to them in a deep and meaningful way.
They had found shelter and nourishment, friendship and hope amongst people who were living out the words of the carols and demonstrating the authentic love that lies at the heart of the Christmas story.
The experience helped this church member to realise afresh how the activities and worship and spiritual generosity of Advent and Christmas can speak to many different people in profound and life-transforming ways.
Our plan for December, January and February presents many occasions for us to experience not only for ourselves, but also to show and tell others, the grace found in the tender love of God who comes to us in human form.
Let us express our thanks to all who share their own gifts, enabling these events and times of worship to happen. Let us pray for them in their careful preparations.
Can you think of someone you may like to invite to one of the services or special events taking place throughout the Circuit over the next few weeks?
Lots of gifts will bring a great deal of pleasure to many this Christmas.
These will include presents to family and friends (from whom a gift might be expected in return) and those presents which are given freely to friends or to charities to pass on to or to use in their work with other people (where there will be no material ‘pay-back’).
We remember Jesus is a gift for everyone. He is a gift to be shared and enjoyed. He comes to be with us as a companion and friend. He comes as love packaged up in a person.
He comes as a Saviour to mend humanity’s fractured relationship with God. He speaks to us at the heart of the Covenant Prayer which we shall have an opportunity to say again at the beginning of 2019. What Good News to share with a waiting world.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May the LORD richly Bless you as we journey together as a Circuit.
December — February 2019
Contact Details & Diary
For contact details of Ministers and Preachers, please collect a Circuit plan from one of our Churches. Also, our dates/times for all Sunday Services’ is too large to display on this page so we will only display the Sutton Methodist diary.
Dates For Sutton Methodist Church
|2 December||10:45am||Sutton||Lucas (Gift Service)|
|6:30pm||Hedon||Circuit Service Advent Holy Communion|
|16 December||10:45am||Sutton||Local Arrangement|
|30 December||10:45am||Bransholme||Gray (United Service)|
|6 January 2019||10:45am||Sutton||Lucas (Covenant)|
|13 January 2019||10:45am||Sutton||Winfield|
|6:30pm||Holderness Rd||Circuit Service (Healing & Wholeness)|
|20 January 2019||10:45am||Sutton||M Grant|
|27 January 2019||10:45am||Sutton||Penn-Timity|
|3 February 2019||10:45am||Sutton||Lucas (JMA)|
|10 February 2019||10:45am||Sutton||Circuit Anniversary|
|6:30pm||Withernsea||Circuit Service and Holy Communion|
|17 February 2019||10:45am||Sutton||Local Arrangement|
|24 February 2019||10:45am||Sutton||Lucas (Holy Communion)|
- Fresh Expression Contact Rev L Penn-Timity
- Tuesdays 9.30am Table Top Sale
- 1.45- 2.45 Women’s Fellowship (2nd & 4th Tues)
- Wednesday Baby Play 1—2.30pm
- Monthly Messy Church
- Thursday Parent & Toddlers 9.30—11.30
Elsternwick AKA Elstronwick
- Weekly Village Friendship Group 2pm to 3.30pm
- Monthly Coffee Morning 2nd Saturday 10 – 12noon
- Coffee Morning: 1st Saturday monthly 10:00 – 11:30
- “60 Mins” bible study 2:00 pm Wednesdays
- Cake stall & book sale – 1st Friday of the month – 9.30am
- Coffee morning Hall Wednesdays 10.00 – 12noon
- Café 11am – 1pm, Every Tuesday & Thursday
- Food for thought 3rd Tuesday in the month 1pm for soup lunch 2pm for meeting.
- Film Club 2nd Tuesday monthly 9.30am
- Coffee Morning Tuesdays 10.00 – 11.00am
- Luncheon Club Thursdays 11.30 — 13.30pm
- Upper Room Fellowship 2pm (not 6.30pm) Mondays fortnightly.
- Monthly Bible Study—check for dates and venue
- Leisure Day Monday Sept to Mar 10.15 to 3.30pm
- Coffee morning Thursday 9.30 to 11.30am
- Quiz night first Thursday each month 7.30pm
- Woman’s Fellowship 2pm Wednesdays Fortnightly
- Friendship Group 7.30pm 3rd Tuesday Monthly
- Monday 2pm Prayer Group
- Wives & friends 2nd & 4th Wednesdays 7.45pm
- Women’s Fellowship 2pm Thursdays
- Thursdays 1st Messy Ch 3rd Craft Club 4pm
- Friendship Circle Last Monday of the Month 7.30pm see Church for details
- Yell & Natter Parent & Toddlers 1pm Fridays
- Worship Group 7pm Tuesdays
- Friendship Group 2nd Monday in month 7.30pm
- Flavours Café Tuesday each week 11am to 2pm
- Bible Study 1st Wednesday in the month 7pm
Circuit Service Notices
You are ALL Welcome to these services. Come and Celebrate together as a Circuit
Our Circuit representatives will contact the Churches on a Monday morning and an email will then be sent to the Circuit’s ministers and the Hospital Chaplains.
Ministers Day OFF
|Rev D Lucas||Saturday|
|Rev Tom Parker
|Rev L Penn—Timity||Friday|
|Deacon D Creed||Wednesday|
Should an emergency arise on your Minister’s day off, please contact another member of staff who will be pleased to help you.
Light yourself on fire with passion and people will come from miles to watch you burn.
— John Wesley
Circuit Website www.shmc12.org.uk